36°03' S, 136°41' E
An automatic lighthouse was built in 1906 at Cape Du Couedic (pronounced
locally as 'cape de coodee') which was named by the French Captain
Nicholas Baudin in 1802. Remnants of a jetty, water tank and storeroom
can be viewed at nearby at Weir Cove. Many ships both large and
small where wrecked at this portion of the Southwest.
Cape Du Couedic is located in an isolated corner of the Southwest
end of the island in what is now Flinders Chase National Park.
Scenically it is one of the most stunning places to visit. Gazing
out to the Southern Ocean that pounds the precipitous coastline
and over looking two islands known as 'The Brothers' and named
the Casuarina Islets in 1802. These islets are a bird sanctuary
and not accessible from the main island unless by boat and almost
impossible to land on as they have sheer rock sides.
Beneath the point is a spectacular landform called Admirals Arch,
a natural archway cut out by wind and water and pounded by towering
seas. Seals and penguins can be seen nestling on the rock platforms
around this location. From the platforms at the bottom of Admirals
Arch you can see large colonies of Australian Sea Lions and New
Zealand Fur Seals. A walkway leads down to the stairs leading
around the cliff face to the arch.
Cape Du Couedic has four lighthouse keeper houses, which are available
for holiday rentals.
Weir Cove can be viewed from the Eastern side cliff tops where
their supplies were hauled up the cliff face to the lighthouse.
The small beach areas are also visible but unfortunately, they
are at the bottom of very steep and large cliffs, which made it
difficult - if not impossible to unload cargo destined for the
lighthouse. A cutting was made into the cliff face on the western
side of Weir Cove and a cable system rigged up. This was to haul
the cargo up from the jetty at the base of the cliff. This "flying
fox" cable system is no longer there, but from a cliff top vantage
point it is obvious why it was required.