35°41' S, 137°30' E
Population: about 80. This pretty town is on the banks of the
Cygnet River. The town is sprawled out along the road on the way
from Kingscote to Parndana.
Many small industries thrive here. These include:
'Governor' Wallen lived here and greeted the first settlers when
they arrived at Reeves Point in 1836. The first settlers had thought
that the island was uninhabited and were surprised to meet a man
that called himself 'Governor'. He had come to the island and
started an orchard about 15 years earlier. He supplied sealers
and himself and some of the other island 'residents'. When he
met the settlers he was dressed in animal skins and was a rough
looking character. He assisted the settlers to find water and
supplied them with fruit and vegetables from his orchard. He lived
to an old age and died in Adelaide. His body was returned to Kingscote
for burial in the historic cemetery at Kingscote - near Reeves
In earlier times Kangaroo Island was supplied fruit and vegetables
from an orchard located here. This orchard was divided up after
the death of the owner and now nearly all fruit and vegetables
come from mainland Australia.
Located 15 kms (10 miles) from Kingscote it shares the climate
of that town. Water is supplied from the Middle River Dam as the
River itself does not supply suitable drinking water.